Wednesday, March 14, 2012

PLACE and books I've read

I am not a very good blogger.

I think I will be the first one to say that. In actuality, I find it hard for anyone to find what I write about important - really.

I will say that I do have an opinion, but you know what folks say about opinions. I guess I can sit here and write stuff and maybe if you are reading it you might find it interesting.

I am what some call an indie author, though I know the book I published is anything but. I can honestly say that I spent more on my book than a lot of big name publishers would spend on their author's books - my only issue has been distribution and marketing, all of which I have limited resources and time (especially after what I spent on the book).

Like a lot of folks, I hope an agent might pick me up one day, but rejection time and time again has been daunting to say the least, which brings me to the stuff I have been reading from my fellow, 'indie authors.'

There is no doubt that there are talented writers out there. I have read some really good stuff, but all and all the stories are missing one particular element for me. I guess that is what agents and editors are for. It begs me to think, that yes, my book may be missing that particular element as well.

The element I am talking about is a matter of place.

It has seemed to me that writers take off with the story, but give little account to where the characters are. An example, I just read a book with a great story, but I was really confused about where the story was taking place. Even if the story is fiction, historical aspects are always a plus in the story for me. If the story is a story about pirates, and it takes place in the Caribbean, then by all means I want a little history lesson about the pirates and the Caribbean. Though your story is fiction, those little historic tidbits will make your tale ring true. It also gives me a chance to put myself in the shoes of the characters. I can picture the story much more clearly.

Michael Crichton was a master at this. You can find great examples of the 'PLACE' element in his books, "The Great Train Robbery", or "Jurassic Park". They are perfect in that way (to me). It also makes what Mr. Crichton is blowing up our butts believable, even though if some of the things he says are quite impossible - at the moment anyway.

But he can stick it in your mind that what he is saying MAY BE POSSIBLE, kind of sort of, maybe, but possible.

Anyway, that is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers