Monday, January 30, 2012

Still an idiot writer

I am pretty sure no one will read this, so I guess it doesn't matter what I say. I just thought I'd jump on here and continue my promise of trying to keep a somewhat up to date blog.

I am very worried about the state of publishing and reading and writing these days. Books were pretty obscure objects once before - like when I grew up. There were and still are only a handful of real staples that I read growing up - The Cat in the Hat, Chronicles of Narnia (now it seems everyone has a 'chronicles' story), Winnie the Pooh, Grimm Fairy Tales, Where the Sidewalk Ends, and The Hardy Boys' Mysteries. Now there is just so much stuff out there, and it is hard to separate anything that is actually good.

I also think that writing has been on the decline. Every tip I read has been in the words of 'cut', 'cut', 'cut' - This to me only represents one thing - either publishers think kids are to stupid to read long stories, or publishers don't want to spend money on publishing any extra pages. It has almost become the adage - hey let's put this book out as cheaply as possible and then on to the next one.

I guess I am one who likes to see different styles in the way people write - not the one syllable, five word sentence. I like my words painted - it shows that someone has an imagination. NOT rehashing the movie - "The Running Man" and making it a book. Just read, "20000 Leagues Under the Sea" You'll then know what I am talking about.

It is pretty cool in a way to write a blog no one reads. No one cares. I do get to vent about nothing in particular. If you are out trying to be an author that anyone cares about, quit wasting your time. I also don't want to hear - I just need to write, because that's who I am. No we just have this fascination that someone is actually going to care about what we write - and I have to tell - you - no one does. Twitter is full of this - "such and such says - The Time of NeverEver is the such and such choice.." OR "Mandy Nobody has just released the Flyergate Chronicles, and it's in par with Hunger Games."

If you self publish, and you get a few kudos here and there - hold on to them, because that is all you'll get -

Why so angry you ask? I'm not - I'm just writing a blog no one reads. However, if you do come across this blog - I speaketh the truth. And you can vent along with me if you 'd like?


Yours Truly,


Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers