Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I am an idiot writer

This will be the first post in the adventures of being a stupid writer.

I have to say that of all of the things to be in this world, why would anyone want to be a writer --- especially now?

I am not sure what being in middle school is these days, but when I went to school, we were required to read certain books throughout the year... what a crock. I had better things to do than read. I think most of the time I copied my neighbors answers to the 10 question quiz we had after each reading assignment.

It wasn't until I had this bright idea in 1996 to write a book that I thought reading added anything to society. That's right - 1996. That was before "Harry Potter", before the Internet craze and before the absolute saturation of wanna be authors - yours truly included.

It is amazing what one can do with technology these days - meaning - CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE THIS STUFF STARTS OR STOPS? What do I mean by stuff? Exactly, have not one clue.

I have gone the self-publishing route - and let me be the first to say - DON'T DO IT!! Unless you want to pat yourself on the back. There is virtue in self publishing though - once you go through it - you'll know where you made your mistake, and you'll be cleaning it up for some time afterwards.

I will say I have a product due to self-publication - it is not a bad product - but what an agent and publishing house can do for said product is daunting to say the least what one can do with that product themselves.

You see - I have done everything that everyone says a self-publisher should do - but yet no one reads my book. The reason? Well - this is hard, but the reason is that I have not a clue how to market, distribute, publicize, or anything else to my audience.

So yes - I have the social media stuff...nothing. I have a blog...nothing.

Maybe my story is not good enough.......hmmmm....maybe, but I don't know that because I can't reach a larger market, and the money it would take to do so is something I am not willing to pay - especially since I am some thousands of dollars in the hole.

Being published in a house with an agent gives you one thing self-pub will not, and that is being legit. Save the sermons, please, until later. I know all of the cliches and sayings and everything else.

There are always exceptions to the rule, but there is also a winner of the lottery - and what is the chance in that?

I still think it is easier to make in Hollywood than it is to be a writer.

I love success stories - yet I am not one of them. I am probably one of the millions that are not - though I will not give up. I just want to do it right.

It is a brand new world out there as far as publishing goes. Anyone with a computer can be a writer nowadays. I have probably seen my window open and shut, but we'll see.

So I have 3 followers of my blog as of this post.....this should be interesting.

www.facebook.com/jmarkboliek

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers